BitTorrent is the program of choice for transferring large files between computers, especially on slow connections. Transmission is the official client with Ubuntu but it has its limitations e.g. separate encryption setting for each file. Deluge is the next client of choice. However after I installed Deluge, it failed to restart after a crash shut down. Clicking on icon produced no response. Continue reading
Instructions for Transmission:
1. From Menu select File > Create new Torrent (or CTRL + N)
2. Select the files and or directories
3. Trackers: This is probably the hard part for most people. But it’s pretty easy, just put in one of the popular public trackers. we can use one or more trackers, but in generally one/two is/are enough.
Here are some good trackers to use:
Paste one or more of above links in the tracker box. The empty lines in between above links are intentional.
4. Do NOT tick the private torrent box (unless you’re using a private tracker)
5. Save the torrent and send it to friends besides uploading it to one or more sites.
The above entries of Trackers can also be pasted in an existing download via its property box to speed up a download. As for creating public torrent they do not accept upload from public. One has to register with one of the sites and upload the torrent. A registered user can upload torrent anonymously as well.
All the best.