The much awaited Education policy which was being debated for past about five years is announced. It’s highlights are:
1. Present school structure of 10+2 is dropped and will be replaced by new school structure will be 5+3+3+4 which means that upto 5 pre school, 6 to 8 Mid School, 8 to 11 High School, 12 onwards Graduation.
2. University Graduation Degree will be 4 years.
3. From 6th std onwards vocational courses available and ten days internship in local trade will be mandatory.
4. From 8th to 11 students can choose optional subjects. Present system of science or arts stream will be abolished. All graduation course will have major and minor
Example – science student can have Physics as Major and Music as minor also. A student of cookery can have chemistry as minor subject.
5. New Teacher Training board will be setup for all kinds of teachers in country, no state can change,
6. New Basic learning program will be created by government for parents to teach children upto 3 years in home and for pre school 3 to 6.
7. All schools exams will be semester wise twice a year,
8. The syllabus will be reduced to core knowledge of any subject only to discourage cramming syllabus with more focus on practical training and application knowledge,
9. There shall be one regulator and higher education will be governed by only one authority. UGC AICTE will be merged.
10. All Universities government, private, Open, Deemed, Vocational etc will have same grading and other rules. Same level of Accreditation be given to every collage, based on its rating irrespective of ownership structure of college. Each collage will get autonomous rights and funds. Present system of affiliation of Colleges with Universities will be gradually phased out.